BS Chemical Engineering, Universidad Simón Bolívar, Caracas, Venezuela. 1977.
MS Environmental and Water Resources Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. 1980.
PhD Environmental and Water Resources Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. 1981.
Concurrent University Appointments
- Associated Faculty, High Meadows Environmental Institute
- Associated Faculty, Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment (ACEE)
- Associated Faculty, Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials (PRISM)
Honors, Awards, DISTINCTIONS
- Excellent International Cooperation Project Award, “Application of Feammox Process in Wastewater Treatment,” awarded by the Guangzhou Association of Industrial Environmental Protection, 2017.
- Elected Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, 2012. For fundamental, quantitative work on biogeochemical reaction and transport phenomena in soils and sediments.
- Appointed as Board Certified Environmental Engineering Member (BCEEM) of the American Academy of Environmental Engineers (AAEE) by Eminence, November 2008.
Prof. Jaffé’s research interests relate to the physical, chemical, and biological processes that govern the transport and transformation of pollutants in the environment and their application toward the remediation of contaminated systems. Areas of current emphasis include laboratory and field experiments as well as mathematical simulations of biogeochemical processes in porous media, such as: (1) understanding the mechanism as well as environmental distribution of the Feammox process (ammonium oxidation under iron reducing conditions); (2) Applications of the Feammox process for ammonium removal in engineered systems and for the cometabolical degradation of recalcitrant organics such as PFAS; (2) biogeochemically mediated dynamics of trace metals, metalloids, and radioisotopes in sediments, wetland soils, and groundwater; (4) nitrogen processing in urban settings coupled to urban hydrology; and (5) design of novel biological waste treatment processes.
CEE 308 Environmental Engineering Laboratory
CEE 471 / GEO 471 / URB 471 Introduction to Water Pollution Technology
CEE 576 Water Quality Modeling and Analysis
Google scholar profile https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=QHebt1cAAAAJ&hl=en