PhD University of Bath, Bath, United Kingdom, 2000.
MPhil University of Bath, Bath, United Kingdom, 1997.
B.Eng. Civil / Structural Engineering Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering, University of Bath, Bath, United Kingdom, 1995.
Concurrent University Appointments
- Associated School of Architecture , Princeton University
- Associated Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment
- Associated Princeton Environmental Institute
- Associated Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials
- Associated Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies
- Certificate Program Architecture and Enginieering
- Certificate Robotics and Intelligent Systems Certificate
- Certificate Urban Studies
Honors, Awards, DISTINCTIONS
- Chair ASCE Aesthetics in Design Committee, 2020
- Barry Onouye Endowed Visiting Chair,University of Washington 2019
- ASCE George Winter Award 2018
- Chair IASS Working Group 5 Shells 2014-present
- Princeton University Alfred Rheinstein Award 2015
Dr. Adriaenssens’s research focuses on lightweight surface systems and how they can be optimized and realised to interact with extreme structural or environmental loading. This includes research on flexible and rigid shells and plates, submerged flexible membranes and nets, and metamaterials with applications for a resilient urban environment. The applications range from adaptive building shading devices to large-scale inflatable storm surge barriers and are sometimes inspired by systems that evolved in biology, art or architecture. Dr. Adriaenssens’ research spans analytical approaches to study non-linear mechanics, seeking new numerical form finding, optimization and machine-learning approaches and fluid-interaction models as well as experimental aspects based on prototyping of small and medium scale systems using CAD/CAM and robotic construction.
CEE205 Mechanics of Solids
STC209/EGR209/MUS 209 Transformations in Engineering and the Arts
CEE418/VIS418 Extraordinary Processes
CEE519 Elasticity and Geometry in Shells and Plates
CEE546 Form Finding of Structural Surfaces
GLS263/CEE263 A Social and Multi-Dimensional Exploration of Structures
CEE463 A Social and Multi-Dimensional Exploration of Structures
Google scholar profile https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=list_works&hl=en&user=3q-hb...