PhD Environmental Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 2008.
MS Environmental Science & Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin,China, 2003.
BS Environmental Engineering, Tianjin University of Urban Construction, Tianjin,China, 2000.
Concurrent University Appointments
- Associate Director for Research, the Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment (ACEE)
- Associated Faculty, Princeton Environmental Institute (PEI)
- Associated Faculty, Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials (PRISM)
- Executive Committee Member, Program in Engineering Biology (PEB)
Honors, Awards, DISTINCTIONS
- 2017 Nanova/CAPEES Frontier in Research Award
- 2015 New Inventor of the Year Award
- 2012 University Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Work
Prof. Ren and the WET (Water & Energy Technologies) lab members work on Water-Energy Nexus especially in areas of energy and resource recovery during environmental processes such as wastewater treatment and reuse, water desalination, remediation, and carbon capture and utilization. They use electrochemistry, microbiology, and system engineering tools to understand the fundamental determinant factors of the systems so as to enhance design, operation, and monitoring in concert with traditional approaches. Prof. Ren collaborates with colleagues from different disciplines. The group has been funded by federal and state agencies as well as private sponsors and published papers in Nature Sustainability, Nature Climate Change, Nature Energy, Science Advances, Energy & Environmental Science, Environmental Science & Technology, Water Research, and other journals. Prof. Ren co-founded 2 companies with students to translate research findings into real-world applications.
ENE 321 / CEE 321 / ENV 371: Resource Recovery for a Circular Economy
CEE 477 / ENE 477: Engineering Design for Sustainable Development
Google scholar profile https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Ye1D3tYAAAAJ&hl=en&authuser=1